Please leave us your comments and suggestions!

We always enjoy trying new establishments, especially those little-known gems. We are generally up for anything, so please let us know what you like.

Whatcha Lookin' For?

Sunday, September 5, 2010

More fun than a PB and J!

Just ate a deep fried PB and J at the state fair and decided it was time for the sandwich list.  We argued quite a while about the next list.  Do we just include cold sandwiches?  What constitutes a sandwich?  If we include reubens and phillies, can we still do each of those as their own top 5?
Here's how these sandwiches made the list:  it is located on the "sandwich" section of the menu OR includes some kind of protein between two pieces of carbohydrate.  No burgers were allowed on this list (though we certainly don't discriminate against them).

Top 5 Nebraska Sandwiches

Dustin's List
  1. Reuben or Whoever - 9 South Char Grill, Lincoln:  There a lot of really great sandwiches at the Char Grill, but the reuben tops my list every time we go there.
  2. Philly  - 5th Quarter Tavern, Palmyra:  Made with chunks of real steak, not thin slices like most other phillies, this is hands-down the best philly around.
  3. Kielbasa and Kraut - Chicken Coop*, Grand Island or Kearney:  Kielbasa, kraut, beer . . .what more do you need?
  4. Pulled Chicken - Paul's BBQ, Lincoln:  Everything at Paul's is delicious, but if you only get to try one thing, get the Pulled Chicken Sandwich.
  5. Club -The Bar, Unadilla:  Made with is croissant, this is my favorite place to get a club.  Plus, they'll add jalapenos if I ask nicely.
Autumn's List
  1. Turkey - Bread and Cup, Lincoln:  Yum!  One of the most delicious sandwiches I've ever had.  It was everything I wanted; creamy, crunchy and full of flavor.
  2. Jalapeno Chicken Melt - Sportscasters, Lincoln:  I try to order something different every time I got to Sportscasters, but since I tried the Jalapeno Chicken, I can't bring myself to order anything else.  It has two of my favorite things; cream cheese and pepperjack!
  3. Club on Croissant - The French Cafe, Kearney:  This sandwich was a staple of my diet when I was in college.  It is served on the flakiest croissant I've ever tried and goes great with their homemade cheesecake.
  4. Chicken Salad on Croissant - Uptown Brewery, Stanton:  I ordered this sandwich because it was the lunch special the day we stopped.  This sandwich restored my faith that you can make chicken salad with celery instead of celery salad with chicken.
  5. Philly - Sidelines Steak and Sports Bar, Cook:  The steak is seasoned perfectly, with just enough pepper to keep the beer flowing.  They will also make it without mushrooms, which is important for those of us with Mycophobia.
*The Chicken Coop has a location in West Des Moines, IA, but it originated in Kearney, NE 

Jeff's Top Ten Sandwich Shops from the Lincoln Journal Star

No comments: